Golf Cart Motor
Electric golf cart motors convert electrical energy into mechanical energy. There are many different types of electric golf cart motors that are available which vary in speed, torque, and other general uses for consumers. Each golf cart motor is designed specifically to perform a unique job that it is the best at. So knowing the different types of motors available and what they are best at can really help you get the most value for your money.
What Are Golf Cart Motors?
The size of the motor will determine many different factors which include the ‘amp draw’ that will affect the batter life of the electric golf cart motor. Also, if the size of the motor is larger, than this will increase the torque and speed that the motor is capable of. A larger motor is needed as it needs to be able to handle the electric current and heat which is generated when the motor is activated and is being used.
Golf Cart Electric Motors VS Golf Cart Gas Engines
When looking to buy golf cart motors, you will need to decide between electric motors and gas motors. Both of these types of motors have their own advantages and disadvantages. Electric motors are usually cheaper; however, the price will vary for both types of motors depending on many different factors. Some of these factors are the make, models, and features available.
Below you can see more information about the advantages and disadvantages of the different motors for the golf carts.
Golf Cart Electric Motors:
- They hardly make any noise when they are running
- Low maintenance costs and no fuel is required. So you save more money
- They do not release any emissions which can pollute and damage the environment
- The batteries can last a long time when they have been fully charged
- Fewer components in the golf cart to replace or repair. Which will help you save money over a long time.
- If proper care isn’t taken of the batteries, then replacements can cost a lot of money
- Batteries need to be replaced more frequently if they are not looked after
- The more accessories that a golf cart has, such as a radio, fan, and lights, will result in the battery being drained quicker
- The range isn’t as high as gas golf cart motors
Golf Cart Gas Engines:
- These golf carts have a much larger range and can travel further distance in one go
- Generally have more horsepower which can translate into a higher top speed and acceleration. However, this does depend on other factors such as the make and model.
- Not as comfortable as electric motored golf carts. They are very noisy.
- They cause more pollution and damage the environment
- The maintenance and operational cost is overall higher than the electric motor alternative.
Difference Between 36V and 48V Golf Cart Motors
Figuring out how many volts your golf cart electric motor uses is an extremely easy task. All you need to do is count the water fill caps that are on all of the motors batteries. If you have six 6 volt batteries, then that means you have a 36 Volt golf cart motor. If you have six 8 volt batteries or four 12 volt batteries, then that means you have a 48 Volt golf cart motor.
Golf carts which have 48V electric motors will have a much longer batter life than the 36V electric motors.
Choosing the right type of golf cart matters, so if you’re going to drive up steep hills and roads then you should choose the 48 Volt golf cart motor. If you are going to drive on flat surfaces or mainly flat surfaces, then you should choose the 36 Volt golf cart motor.
When looking to buy a golf cart motor, always make sure that you do your research so you don’t spend too much money on a certain type of motor that you could have bought for a cheaper price. Also buying a motor which has high performance will cost more money, so if you don’t need a motor which performs a lot of difficult tasks, don’t spend the money on one. Always buy what you need, and be smart with your money.
Helpful Information About Electric Golf Cart Motor batteries
It can be very annoying when the electric golf cart motor that you are using is not working the way it should. Instead of calling the repairman immediately and needing to pay a lot of money, check for the below mentioned factors and check if you can save yourself the time and money.
Check the batteries
Test the voltage of the batteries which are being used by the electric golf cart motor. All you need to do if verify that there is the proper voltage for the type of batter which is being used. Most of these batteries will be using 12 to 48 volts. Just use a multimeter to check the voltage for the batteries being used for the motor.
Keep in mind that batteries lose voltage even when the electric motor is not being used. A small amount of electricity will still be used by the electric motor even when its turned off and not it use. Remember to charge the batteries if they have not been used in long time.
Batteries can be charged to resolve the issues you might be having. If the batteries are dead, then they will need to be replaced by the same type of batteries.
Conclusion on Golf Cart Motors
There are many factors to consider when deciding on what golf cart motor you are going to buy. One of the best things that you can do is ask someone who has much more experience and knowledge which motor would be best for the purpose you need it for. This will help you save a lot of time and money and get a motor which performs effectively and gets the job done.